Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Cycling Through a Chaotic World


I went on a long ride yesterday. I found myself cycling through the Lafayette hills towards Moraga (I live in California by the way). I came upon St. Mary's University and instantly wondered why I chose to go to college in frigid Minnesota when there is this oasis of higher education tucked back in the fog covered hills of the East Bay.

As I continued on my ride, I found myself in the "golden" hills surrounded by splendor and in solitude. It was the most relaxed I had been in six weeks.

And then I got to my coffee shop...read the newspaper...and panic set in.

800,000 people are without homes in the Himalayas and winter is three weeks away!

God---have mercy

1 comment:

Tim said...

From the www.frontiers.org website:

We are looking for men of action, who will lay aside lesser ambitions to rescue people of Pakistan from the oncoming frigid winter.

The following is from one of the agencies we will work with:

"Men wanted to come and assist with shelter assembly and distribution. Needed at least 2-4 weeks in November/December. Need to bring own camping and hiking supplies. Will need to be able to hike to remote villages potentially at high altitudes. Could be strenuous and rugged work. Need to be flexible and willing to do other work if shelter project ends earlier than expected. Willing to work alongside locals in this project. Also prefer men coming in teams that could provide their own leadership."

Participants must be in good physical condition, have a current passport and immunizations and pay their own way. Cost will include travel to/from Mesa, AZ, round trip airfare Phoenix to Pakistan, and $120/week in-country costs.

At this point, we are looking for MEN only due to cultural considerations. We will send you with a team.

If you want to join a team, or if your church wants to assemble a team of men to meet this critical need, please contact us at 800-462-8436.

This is worth paying attention to.