Monday, July 10, 2006

Incognito: Listening and Prayer

This isn't my style.

I believe in the power of relationships and how God designed us to be avenues through which his love and grace and forgiveness and freedom flow. I believe that relationships are the number one way in which people step into the rhythm of Jesus. I believe this because this is my experience.

Don't you find that a bit limiting?

We sat at the two fountains in our city. These particluar fountains are strategically located in the most consumeristic districts. We sat down with a sign that said "Listening and Prayer Available" and waited and prayed and waited and prayed....

It was a two hour wrestling match between me and God.
"This is stupid!" I would say.
"Be still!" He would say.
"No one is going to come and share anything with me. This isn't how You work!" I would say.
"So you know how I work?" He would say.
"People are looking at us and laughing!" I would say.
"Keep watching." He would say.
"Watching what?" I would say.
"My people--my kids--me Beloved." He would say.
"Yeah, but this isn't going to change anything for them!" I would say.
"This isn't about them!" He would say.
"Oh--" I said....

And then I was still--
And then I realized that I don't have the foggiest idea how God chooses to work--
And then I watched--
And then I began to see His Beloved--
And then my heart began to change--

1 comment:

Laurie said...

FATHER knows best!