Monday, April 30, 2007

Why Don't I Write?

As I discover what spiritual formation means in my life, I am beginning to understand why it has become difficult to write. I never considered myself a writer until I began blogging. Once I began to blog, I noticed that my heart grew--that something was happening on a deeper level--that blogging was, in fact, a means of spiritual formation for me. Accompanying that realization, came that ever-present complacency that led to not writing. Really, it is the same thing that happens whenever we discover something that is valuable in our relationship with God: as we discover its importance, we find ways to avoid it.

Do you ever fall into the same rut?

1 comment:

Mike said...

I know this is an older post, but I just read it and needed to comment. This is one of my biggest frustrations with myself - I've always said I feel healthiest when I'm writing a lot... the spiritual formation that happens for me in writing of almost any kind is palpable. And yet I never do it. I think it's because writing means slowing down enough to listen to your life and listen to God, and that process can mess with my status quo. Even though I don't like the status quo most of the time, it's easier to not challenge it. But writing is part of what I'm called to do, and it's part of what I have to contribute to the world, so I'm shirking a responsibility of sorts by not diving into it.