Sunday, November 09, 2008

One part healthy...One part unhealthy

I was in a dialogue with a hurting and confused friend today. He was telling me the story of a conversation of which I was one of the topics. He told me that one part of the dialogue was healthy and the other part was unhealthy, but I sensed he was willing to tell me both if I pressed.

How do I interpret that? What do I do? Especially as part of me was morbidly intrigued by what was unhealthy.

Here's what I did...
I took a moment to check my pulse; I was surprised that it hadn't quickened. It would have quickened six months ago. I then asked him to share with me the healthy portion, but that if the unhealthy portion would skew my perspective of him or someone else, I would prefer that he keep it to himself.

I surprised myself.

Maybe I am learning to choose for people. Maybe I am learning that stories are viral in that they infect (both positively and negatively) those who tell as well as those who listen.

I want to choose not to speculate...I'm more free when I don't.

I want to whisper healthy stories of people's virtues.

Perhaps that's the sound of a great (and healthy) infection.

No comments: