Thursday, December 15, 2005

Pakistan Journal: Orientation

I will start at the beginning.

Saying goodbye to someone you love and stepping into the unknown is a unique experience. I have been dropped off at the airport several times by my wife, but never have I felt the way that I did on November 27th. I remember watching for her until I couldn't anymore, wondering when the next time that I would see her would be....

I flew to Phoenix that day to connect with the rest of the team and to get orientated. Up until then, my focus was securing my Visa and getting everything packed. I had friends and friends of friends helping me with supplies that I didn't even know that I would need. Thanks to them, I was more prepared for back-country, high-alpine life than anyone else. Other than flying to Pakistan and heading towards the ravaged areas of the north, I really didn't have much of an idea of what it was that we would be doing while we were there.

I was expecting to end up in a room with 15 or so other guys so I was suprised when I walked into a room filled with 40 Americans ready to head overseas. The demographic was mostly caucasian and highly intergenerational.

Our orientation began with a, "Thanks for answering the call" type of a speech followed by a presentation by a gentleman that had gone over to Pakistan to walk the paths that many of us would walk so that we would know what to expect. It was helpful and not helpful at the same time. It was helpful because it prepared us for traveling and some of the cultural things we would encounter. It was not helpful because his most common phrase was, "...I don't know."

Our next job was to get into teams of four--this I mentioned in my previous post. My team ended up being Ben, a young guy named Justin, Jeff, and myself. Once in our teams of four, we had to determine who was going to play what role. Jeff, being older and more experienced than any of us took the overall leadership position. I was given the responsibility of being the voice of our team. That is, I would make all travel arrangements, food arrangements, and would be the liason between the Pakistani military, police, and locals. Justin would become the expert of shelter building and Ben would take all monetary and budgeting responsibilities.

The night ended with a picture and rides to a hotel where we would spend our last night in America for two weeks (and take our last hot shower). Ben and I decided to room together, had breakfast and went shopping for more food the next day and prepared to disembark. At this point, we weren't sure if we were going to be fending for ourselves for food or not. I love backpacking food (freeze-dried) but I couldn't find a place in our area to grab any. We decided to stock up in Clif Bars and packaged fruit which was heavy but I decided that I'd rather be safe than sorry.

We left for the Phoenix Airport and, once checked in, met a group of three guys from South Carolina. Rodney, Chris, and Corey are three fun-loving, rugby-playing, laid back bros that are my age. We connected instantly at the airport which put my heart at ease knowing that I had a couple more fellas that were like-minded and hearted. All three of them teach at a private school in Carolina (the same school!). Chris found out about the opportunity to go to Pakistan and talked to the principle (his dad) about it. He got the green light, talked to Rodney and Corey about it and before they knew it they all had subsititute teachers, the financial support to go, and were on their way to Phoenix.

It was amazing to hear how God had paved the way for 40 men to go to Pakistan. I remember looking around the room in Phoenix and thinking to myself, "None of these guys knew that they were heading to Pakistan three weeks ago." That's what happens when God calls and people obey.

We stepped on to our first of many airplanes (Phoenix to LA). The journey had offically begun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jer,
I just read your latest entry to Andrew, and he was quit impressed. He said you sound like an author ;-) You are a great story teller. I can't wait for your next chapter.
Blessings,
Marsi

Tim said...

Thanks for working so hard on this so we can all benefit from what you saw, lived and learned. Keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

You can't imagine how many times a day I check the "the next entry!" I appreciate your willingness to do this, but I also know your own need to get the message across. Thanks for being a faith-building instrument used by God!

Anonymous said...

Ditto, Laurie. From Gram/Gramps