Monday, December 08, 2008

Pakistan 3 years ago.

Last Sunday marked the three-year anniversary of my experience in Pakistan--one of the most significantly formational experiences of my life.

Where as, then, the country was ravaged by an earthquake...now--it is war.

My heart is torn as I continually read about the unrest and chaos in the tribal villages of northern Pakistan where I fell in love with a community of people being painted as terrorists.

My mouth goes dry as I imagine a two-front war that Pakistan may be engaged in before long. I wonder about Mumtaz, Afzal, Farooq, Zaighum, and Shakoor. Will they have to fight this war? Which war will they fight in? How will their families be impacted by more war? Will Shakoor and Afzal get to spend time with their new brides? Will Mumtaz's kids wonder where their daddy is? How will Ziaghum's family stay warm this winter? Does Shakoor still remember The Lord's Prayer?

God, why is this happening?

No comments: