Friday, October 10, 2008

The First Battle

My daughter and I had our first battle...

She has been an incredibly mild-mannered, calm, personable little 10-month old. She loves people, loves to be held, loves to eat, loves to play "climb on daddy."

But...she is getting older, stronger, and more mobile and, therefore, more independent.

I was getting ready to change her diaper the other night and she refused to lay on her back and let me do it. I understand that this is typical; that, if she just lay there calmly all of the time, I should probably be worried. I'm not saying she kind of moved from side-to-side, I'm saying she was flopping like a fresh-caught salmon on the banks of an Alaskan river. She was NOT going to let me get her diaper on. She lived under the misconception that she was in charge--that she knew what was best.

How similar am I to Ava. In the loving care of Father, I flop around because I'm deceived into thinking that I am in charge--that I know what's best. I live in the deception that independence is best, fighting dependency with everything that I am.

Assuming the posture of dependency...is it the fruit of disicpleship, the pre-requisite of discipleship, or both?

New thought :: I model for Ava the posture of dependence or independence.
Another thought :: I teach Ava how to listen to Father both by how I live and how I father.

It's bizarre seeing myself in the shape of a flopping, naked, female infant I call Ava.

1 comment:

matt plotkin said...

From Jeremiah 17:5 - 8:

5-6God's Message:

"Cursed is the strong one
who depends on mere humans,
Who thinks he can make it on muscle alone
and sets God aside as dead weight.
He's like a tumbleweed on the prairie,
out of touch with the good earth.
He lives rootless and aimless
in a land where nothing grows.

7-8"But blessed is the man who trusts me, God,
the woman who sticks with God.
They're like trees replanted in Eden,
putting down roots near the rivers—
Never a worry through the hottest of summers,
never dropping a leaf,
Serene and calm through droughts,
bearing fresh fruit every season.


And, yes the thought of you in the shape of a flopping, naked, female infant is rather bizarre.

I love your pursuit and experimentation with our Father.