Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Greetings from Thailand

I have been traveling for more hours than I care to think about--and I'm doing great! I was reminded today how much I love to experience new cultures as I landed in Seoul, Hong Kong, and Bangkok.

I am acutally sitting in the Bangkok airport right now getting ready to jump on my final leg of the journey to Pakistan--a five-hour flight to Islamabad, Pakistan's capital city. I am playing a psychological game with myself by telling my mind that it was just last night that I jumped on a plane versus a couple of days ago. It seems to be working because I feel like my biological clock is ticking in the right region of the world. In other words, by the time I land in Islamabad tonight, I will be ready for bed.

We have been laid over in Bangkok now for eight hours. A group of guys from my team and I decided that we wanted to grab a quick tour of the city. Instead of opting for a regular bus tour with a guide, we chose to jump on a boat in the river and experience it from that perspective. It was amazing to drift through little canals and see how people here actually experience life. I felt like I was in a Nat'l Geographic film as I watched men and women paddle out to meet our boat in their little boats to sell us bananas and chicken kabobs. I was tempted to taste, but decided not to.

God has already answered a huge prayer. My team is tasked with hauling over ten 100 lb. pipe bending machines to aid in the building of the structure that we will be building. We weren't sure that customs and then the airplane co. themselves were going to let us to it. We have been praying for a long time (I'd try to put a number to the hours or days, but I'm so confused right now that I'd get it wrong anyway) and just found out an hour ago that they have been cleared all of the way to Islamabad.

God has big things in store for the next two weeks. Keep praying, though, because it just started to snow in the Himalays where we'll be and several people (nationals) have been hospitalized due to hypothermia.

I'm not sure if I'll get to write again before I return.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your 5-fold prayer list has been sent to many many people, so your prayer cover should be immense. Many have listened to your sermon and I have recently sent the url for your blog so people can keep updated as you add entries. I know that God has you where He wants you and there is comfort in that. Greet your team members for us, and tell them we wish we could help carry those pipe benders! Know that you are loved and that my (our) heart is always tuned in to you. May the Lord line your path with legions of guardian angels. May He place a hedge of protection around you. May He grant you an abundance of wisdom and strength. May hearts already be prepared to hear what you have to say. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeremy,
Jaci and I -- finally -- got to catch up on the phone... and wow! you've had some tremendous life-changing experiences. I'm excited to hear about them and especially excited for how Jaci and you will be able to tell Asia stories now :)

We're praying for your safe return and today as you debrief in Phoenix... gotta love those long lay-overs, eh?

Emily and Scott